Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Heaven on the earth

I bet you do not know what I am going to write about in this post :). First, I want to show you just a few pictures :)

These are the Caucasus :)


Beautiful forests and clean lakes :)


Wild horses :)


colorful fields :)


The Black Sea :)


Ha, any idea? Well, I will be kind and tell you that everything this and even more you can find in one very small country in Caucasus. Nooo, not Armenia or Azerbaijan . Think a little bit more .....Yes, Yes and Yes again, you have guessed, I am talking about Georgia.

The history of this small country is quiet rich and goes back over 9000 years. Long time ago people were living in the Caucasus in tribes, and about 2300 years B.C. Georgian ethnos in the Caucasus is proven.

Well, I am not going to write the whole history here, I will just write some of the most important events :)

By legend the unique Georgian alphabet was invented in the 3rd century B.C. by the Georgian king Pharnaos and has changed several times :)

Georgian alphabet :)


One of the most important date is the 3rd century A.D. when St. Nino from Kolastra, Cappadocia preached and introduced Christianity in Georgia, which soon - after the 4th century - became the official religion :)

Georgians are one of the most believer orthodox Christians and since the 4th century people have built lots of churches there and you can see them everywhere. Georgian people are friendly and like guests really much. They believe "A guest is from the god " - this means that their houses are always open for others :)

I am uploading some more pictures :)


Winter in Kutaisi - one of the biggest Georgian cities :)


Rustavely av. , Tbilisi, the capital of Georgia.


For more information you can always contact me and I will try to help you with necessary information.


Used sites:
www.istora.ge
www.wikipedia.org

Photos are taken from:
www.forum.ge, wikipedia and my private albums.


4 comments:

Atlanteaness said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for stopping by my site. It's great to get feedback.

Taina said...

I really liked those pictures too :) And now I know a lot more about Georgia! Are you originally from there?

Toma said...

Thanks :)
I am happy that you like photos :)

Mathilde said...

Very biautiful blog...
Thank you for your visit.